The Barber Shop

A barbershop philosopher/theologian talks about religion, current events, and issues concerning black america

Monday, May 15, 2006

Cut Your Grass!!!

This message is for homeowners. Don’t buy a house if you don’t intend to take care of it or the yard. When your house or yard is all jacked up it lowers the property value of the neighborhood.

Why has my man down the street still not cut his grass this year??? His yard looks like the African Savanna. I keep waiting to see some lions and zebras up in all that tall grass. Thank God we have a homeowners association that will eventually force him to cut it.

We need to take as much pride in our houses and yards as we do in our clothes, hair, and cars.

Of the things we buy, houses are one of the few that are supposed to appreciate. When you buy a home and don’t maintain it you are cheating yourself out of thousands of dollars and hurting your community.

If you get too many poorly maintained houses in the same neighborhood it will get the reputation of being in decline and people will be afraid to invest their money there. The next thing you know the value of your house starts to fall and people start to sell just to cut their losses.

Soon investors move in and you have more renters in your neighborhood than homeowners. At this point hardly no one is left with a vested interest in the property values so they continue to slide due to neighborhood neglect.

Fear of this scenario is why I swear by homeowners associations and strong community groups. I don’t think I would move into a neighborhood that didn’t have one. If I did, I would have to organize one because I want to protect my investment and live in a neat and clean neighborhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home