The Barber Shop

A barbershop philosopher/theologian talks about religion, current events, and issues concerning black america

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

More Thoughts...



Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail

“Fail to plan, plan to fail” is one of my favorite sayings. I got it from a guy I worked with a few years ago and I have no idea where he got it. I like it because it’s short, simple, and extremely useful. It’s one of those sayings that help you to not be so disorganized and/or impulsive. It’s a simple reminder to always think things through. Another saying/idea that I have mentally attached to this one is ”begin with the end in mind.”

Begin With the End in Mind

I got “begin with the end in mind” from Stephen Covey’s book,
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. The idea is as simple as it sounds. Before you do anything consider how it might turn out. Beyond individual situations you can apply this idea to every aspect of your life. The reason for this is because it is more a way of thinking and approaching life than a phrase you say to yourself. Apply it to all the areas of your life, including your life as a whole. How do you want to be remembered? What will they say at your funeral?

I have found these two ideas to be some of the most useful in my life. They seem so simple that you might easily overlook their value, but if you take the time to really think deeply about them and apply them, many of you will see why I value them so much.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home